This opportunity brings together three of my absolute favourite things: holidays, Cornwall and, of course, quilting. What could be more perfect than coming on holiday to a beautiful part of the country like Cornwall and having the added bonus of learning a new skill, or improving those skills you already possess? Already in Cornwall? Lucky you, but you deserve some “you time” too.
My studio, in a converted 120 year old stone milking parlour, is now ready, and I have had great fun putting together a selection of bespoke workshops. Rather than offer set dates for you to have to fit in with, you choose the workshop you would like to do and you choose the date(s) that work for you. Workshops are suitable for all ability levels, and I would be happy to help you choose the best one for you. Learning to quilt is truly a gift to yourself that you will be able to enjoy for the rest of your life. Why not bring your mum, your sister, your friend or a group of friends? Or come on your own, one thing is for sure, you won’t be alone for long.So whether you live locally or are in Cornwall on holiday, you can book a workshop tailored to you.
Workshop groups are small, friendly and relaxed, limited to 6 people to ensure individual attention. Your booking fee includes all tuition, hand out notes, tea and coffee, (and biscuits too). Bring your own packed lunch, or order a soup, bread and cheese lunch at a cost of £5 per day. For 2 day or 5 day workshops, group evening activities can be arranged. A meal out with the group, an after hours visit to a local store, a guest speaker and/or vendor, quilters show and tell, are all possible. For groups of more than 6 people, I am happy to travel to your venue.
Full workshop details will be sent after your booking, along with a requirements list of what you need to bring with you. An accommodation list is available if required. Please contact the accommodation provider and book direct. For those traveling with a non-quilting partner, my studio is located amongst the daffodil fields outside Helston, the gateway to the Lizard peninsula and the home of the Flora Day. There is a vast array of activities and places to visit, including golf, sailing, water sports, plenty of beaches, National Trust properties, gardens, museums, galleries, spas and the coastal path. I’m sure you will find many more.
For those of you who do not already own a sewing machine, or who are traveling by public transport and do not want to haul one along with you, we do have a few machines available to hire @ £5 per day. If you are bringing your own machine with you, please make sure you have it serviced and PAT tested prior to the workshop, especially if you have not used it for some time. Remember to bring the user manual and all the accessories and tools with you too. Especially the foot pedal and power cable!
Please click through on the button below for a full list of available workshops. This list will be added to, so check back often.
• 5 day beginners’ workshop. This will start at the very beginning – a very good place to start. Rotary cutting, ¼” seams, piecing by hand or machine, and all the building blocks along the way to finishing a small sampler quilt. Monday to Friday 10 – 4 each day £200 per person per week 1 day a week over 5 weeks 10 -4 each day £45 per person per day ½ day a week over 10 weeks 10-1 or 2-5 or 6-9 £25 per person per session
• 1 day foundation paper piecing workshop. Learn how to piece designs with really thin pointed triangles very accurately. A step by step, fool proof introduction and a couple of variations leading to a table runner, cushion cover or wall hanging to take home. 10-4 each day £45 per person
• 1 day English paper piecing workshop. Learn the basics of this historic skill, and for those who have already mastered the basics, we can go beyond the hexagon. 10 – 4 each day £45 per person
• 3 day appliqué workshop. An introduction to a basket of appliqué techniques, including needle turn, bonded, raw edge and freezer paper. After building a personal reference guide, you will design and make a cushion cover using your favoured technique(s). 10 – 4 each day £120 per person for 3 days
• 3 day combined paper piecing and appliqué workshop. Create a beautiful wall hanging with a combination of these 2 techniques. 10 – 4 each day £120 per person for 3 days
• Dancing Stars. 1 day workshop. Make a lap or bed size quilt using a selection of fat quarters. Basic skills required, but suitable for everyone. 10 – 4 each day £45 per person
• Down the Garden Path. I or 2 day workshop. Make a lap or bed size quilt. This is a great pattern for using those large print fabrics. Suitable for everyone. 10 – 4 each day £45 per person per day
• Stargazey Pie. 1 day workshop. Make any size quilt, your choice, with this fun, scrappy technique. Suitable for everyone. 10 – 4 each day £45 per person
• Stacked Triangle Hexagons. 1 day workshop. Make a lap quilt, or a bed size quilt with this simple but clever technique. Basic skills required, but suitable for everyone. 10 – 4 each day £45 per person
• Scrappy Barn Raising. I day workshop. Make any size quilt using this fast and clever scrappy technique. 10 – 4 each day £45 per person
• Mexican Star. 2 day workshop. Suitable for intermediate level quilters, you will make a beautiful wall hanging. 10 – 4 each day £90 per person for 2 days
Once you have chosen your workshop, email or phone Sara to arrange the date, confirm your choice of workshop and make payment. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Phone: 07864 511225
Day rates for groups of more than 6 people in your own venue: 1 day-£175, 2 days-£300, each additional day-£120 plus mileage at 45p per mile.
Why not sign up to our mailing list to receive The Quilt Lady newsletter with details of future workshops as they become available.